Monday, February 16, 2009


Ever have those days when it just seems nothing you do matters?! We all do, I am sure. Well, I was reminded today that we never know what kind of impact what we do has on others.

Several years ago.... SEVERAL.... I started a Bible Study in my home for teenage girls. It was geared mainly at the missionary kids that I was teaching at school. These 13 or so girls gave up every Friday night to crowd into my little apartment for an hour long study from the book "Lady In Waiting" by Debbi Jones. Some Friday nights, I wished I had never committed to this... yet I pressed on.

It seemed at times that the girls were really getting the message of staying pure in thought and mind while waiting for Mister Right. UNTIL... the topic of waiting even for that first kiss. Wow... that was a hot topic. Most thought that the very idea was insane. Oh well... maybe they learned something.

Well here it is, almost 10 years later and I got this email from a former student telling me of her new boyfriend. In it she shared this....
"next one totally came from his side, it was an answer to my prayers...he said a kiss is extremely special and should be kept for the wedding day. I must confess, I was totally surprised! That’s exactly what I had wanted, but knew the man leads the relationship and I was told that NO man would ever want or be able to do that.

I've been wanting to contact you, because when someone asks me who I'd say was a teacher who really stands out as I think back on my days of school, I always say Miss DeWett. Thankyou so much for everything you taught me and everything you were to me. Even as we worked through Lady In Waiting. That book made the world of difference in my life. It layed foundations, like nothing else, especially for relationships. The fact that I waited is such a blessing to me, as well as in my relationship with Dewald. Now I can come to him without issues and baggage, without having had my heart broken so many times. I'm so thankful to you for following the Lord's guidance in that. I bought the new and updated version of the book and I was so excited to see that your name's there too, talking about the Bible Study you had for us. It was the coolest thing...to be able to say: "YES! I was one of those girls."
If that were the end of the story... I would be pleased.... BUT..... today I received this......
"Our day was so special and absolutely amazing! It's so wonderful to be married....Most certainly worth waiting for! Was an absolute honour, also the fact that he waited for me too."
Praise God from whom all blessings flow.... and thanks Sune' for encouraging me!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome testimony!! you make God smile Becky!

Jim said...

I know another young lady who will always remember and appreciate the time you spent with her - our new daughter Ashley.

(If she ever does forget, I'll remind her of the Babushka Bazaar and it will come back to her.)

Thanks for being there for her.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it incredible how God uses the smallest of seeds that we plant. Such an awesome "bouquet" you have been privileged to witness.

Annett Johnson Autrey