Sunday, November 15, 2009

Growing Older


Look at that beautiful face. Is she not just a sweet looking child? She is as sweet as she looks. In less than a year she will turn 16. Sweet 16!!! What a celebrated day in most cultures...including America. It is a waited for milestone that is a joy to celebrate.

BUT.... not for this child. Natasha is a child turning 16 in a Ukrainian orphanage! This day makes her an official graduate of the Ukraine orphan system. Sounds pretty good, huh?! NO!!! At the age of 16, this precious innocent child becomes an adult in the eyes of the Ukrainian social system. She is dismissed from the orphanage and is on her own....alone, scared, and lonely. She will not be prepared for "real" life because she has never had to learn how to care for herself, manage money, or deal with regular life outside of an institution. What will happen to her??? Well, about 70% of girls like Natasha end up in some kind of sex trade, or pregnant because they have nowhere else to go.

As I have become more and more involved with the children in the orphanage, I have begun to be concerned about this group of children. Those turning sweet 16 with nowhere to turn! It literally breaks my heart to think of "my girls" turning 16!!!! Two of them turn 16 this year, and two turn sixteen next year!!! What can I do? As I have a prayed about this problem, I have grown even more certain of the need for "House of Hope". However, the direction of the home seems to be changing....WHEN God provides the funds to buy the house, I am praying about it becoming a transition home for 16-21 year old girls. A place to help them become prepared for real life outside the institution!!! It will only take 1000 people giving $300 to make this start to become a reality.

(By the way, as I was leaving the orphanage today, Natasha turned, hugged me, and said "Becky, please find me a forever family!!!!" And.... I may just have!!!!!)

8 comments:

Kari said...

It is heartbreaking. As I watch Ashley and Joshua enjoy the things that every child should, a family, birthday celebrations, 3 meals a day, I can't help but think of all of the kids we had to leave behind.

Heidi and Felix said...

Thanks for sharing her story - the more we spread the word of the truth, the more help we can generate for these children. You're the best!

Kathy Koch said...

I love your new vision - God's new vision - for the House of Hope. Makes sense. Still praying for and with you and I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open.

Bettye Mooney said...

Becky,
We so admire your dedication and pray for your success in helping these innocent children. It is heartbreaking to think about the fear they must have in facing an uncertain future. We will be donating to the EEO but can we also perhaps send letters, care packages to one or more of the graduates? God bless you. Bettye

Unknown said...

Hope she finds her family, or the family finds her and Vanya!

Janey DeMeo said...

I have prayed for years for the older children in Ukraine & Russia. I'll pray for your work there. May God open up a window of blessing to provide for this children. Thanx for what you're doing.

Janey DeMeo
founder/director Orphans First
www.orphansfirst.org

Patsy Hyland said...

Becky, Please contact me at the church about Natasha's post. Hope all is well over there! Need to talk about next summer, too!!

For His Children,

Patsy

junglemama said...

So sad to see this fate for so many children. She is beautiful! Can you point me to a post that explains what it is you do in Ukraine?